Sunday, September 14, 2008

Living With 5 Siberian Huskies


In my little piece of the country, there's a little house. In this little house live five beautiful siberians and myself. It get's a little crowded at times, but I wouldn't change it for anything.
Now the head honcho for the males(the alpha male) is Harley. Sometimes he can be a real meanie head.
Then theirs Pugs, now here's a dog that just wants all the love.
Maxie was a rescue, very lovable but skittish, still ducks when you go to pet him.
Of course there's my little man Mason youngest of the group and totally spoiled. He's my only red husky.
Then there is my princess, Shy puppy. The only female, mother of Harley and Pugs. She got ran over and has a very bad hip, which is why she can do no wrong, none, nada, zilch.
These dogs are very special me. They are indiviuals, with their own personalities. Everyone says they look the same, I don't think they're really looking at them.
Living with 5 dogs can be trying for anyone. The mud on rainy days, cost of pet food, vet bills, licenses, and so on. Siberians can be even harder. They have certain characteristics you just can't change.
Digging is a favorite past time for Siberians. They like to make burrows to lie in. In the winter it's for warmth, in the summer to stay cool. They also like to bury food and guard it. That's caused some fights.
Siberians have running in their blood. They need alot of exercise or they will not be happy. That's when they start being bad.
They chew alot. Make sure they have rawhides or other toys to chew on. It is essential. You do not want to be buying new furniture all the time.
With 5 dogs there is going to be trouble. Whether it's over food or who's the boss, trouble does come a calling. Have you ever tried to break up a fight with two fifty pound dogs that have an attitude. Let me tell you it's not fun. Especially when you weigh all of a hundred and twenty pounds, you get yanked and pulled all over the place. And no I have never been bitten by my dogs, but it's still a little nerve racking.
Having dogs takes time and effort. I try to give my dogs their own special time every day. During that time I work on obediance training and give them lots of love.
It is very important that Siberian Huskies have training and know that you are the boss. If they don't know you're in charge they will run all over you.

For More Information on Training Siberian Huskies Click Here

No comments: